Patatas a la Rioja
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 sticks of cured Chorizo (not fresh) - sliced the thickness of a quarter
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 9 medium-large Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon Pimenton (Smoked paprika)
- 3 Tablespoons sweet paprika
- 9 sweet Italian red peppers (Corno di Toro)
- 3-4 Cups of chicken or veggie stock (enough to just cover potatoes)
- 3 bay leaf
- Scallions (bias sliced)
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, heat the oil. Add Chorizo until the oil has turned the color of the chorizo. Remove Chorizo and set aside. Add garlic, onions and a hefty pinch of salt to the olive oil. Cook until the garlic and onions are soft. Add the potatoes, peppers, Pimenton, sweet paprika, bay leaf, and enough stock to just cover the potatoes and stir. Cook at a good simmer.
- As potatoes start to soften, partially mash them with a wooden spoon to get the proper consistency of a thick stew (slightly mashed potatoes). Continue to cook until the sauce thickens. When potatoes are fully tender and the sauce has thickened, adjust seasoning and add back in chorizo. Garnish with scallions.
If desired, you can add more stock to the potatoes and serve this dish as a stew rather than a potato side dish.